Hatters lift Senior Challenge Cup

Luton Town FC survived a late Biggleswade onslaught to win 4-3 at Kenilworth Road

Luton Town FC's Jake Jervis and Jordan Cook hit a brace apiece as the Hatters won the Bedfordshire FA Senior Challenge Cup for the first time in six years, despite a late fightback by Biggleswade Town at Kenilworth Road on Monday evening.

Match Report 

Biggleswade Town kicked the game off, looking to start the first half of positively. Looking sharp it did not take long for Biggleswade Town to take the lead after a lofted cross by Greg Kaziboni found its way into the net after only a minute.

After a poor start by the hatters they found hope with a beautiful team move which resulted in Jake Jervis placing an accurate chip over Liam Gooch in the 11th minute. After Luton gained control of the game they soon found another goal in a superb 30 yard strike from Jordan Cook in the 20th minute.

Luton town’s Jack Senior found himself in Biggleswade’s box in which he cleverly cut across goal scorer Greg Kaziboni who made  contact with the Luton number 3 resulting in a penalty. The spot kick was then converted by Jordan Cook for his second of the match in the 34th minute.

Things went from bad to worse for Biggleswade after a mix up in the defence led to a wonderful volley by Jake Jervis just inside the first half. A big job rests on the Biggleswade manager Chris Nunn to motivate his players. 

Luton restarted looking to keep the lead, Biggleswade provided an energetic start to the second half. The physical side of the game began to shine through however a harsh tackle on Luton’s Arthur Read by Biggleswade’s Jack Peck resulted in a yellow card early on in the second half.

A number of substitutions were made by both managers, Luton subs Joe Mead and Connor Tomlinson were given a chance for Jake Jervis and Kavan Cotter. Biggleswade replaced Greg Kaziboni with Luca Statham-Allinson.

Biggleswade’s number 12 made a huge difference giving Biggleswade a goal to make the score 4-2 in the 73rd minute. Luton came close twice towards the end however fantastic keeping by the Biggleswade keeper kept them out.

A late controversial goal was given to Biggleswade in the 88th minute sparking energy into the team, however it was not enough to get Biggleswade level. Man of the match given to a superb performance from Jake Jervis and the result finished 4-3 to Luton Town.

: Isted, Cotter (Mead 70), L Jones, Mullins ©, Senior, Mpanzu, Peck, Read, Cook, Jarvis, Jervis (Tomlinson 69). Subs: Gordon-Stearn (GK), C Jones, Neufville.

Goals: Jervis 11, 43, Cook 21, 35 (pen)
Yellows: Peck

BIGGLESWADE TOWN FC: Gooch, Walker, Fielding, Hoyte, Perry, Kaziboni (Statham-Allinson 73), Hall, Hicks (Brooks 60), Bowen (Bailey 60), Parker. Subs: Paton, Beevor

Goals: Kaziboni 2, Brooks 73, Parker 90
Yellows: Hall

REFEREE: Wayne Cartmel

Written by:
Amrit Singh-Bains / Jack Bartram